Use the article below, chapters 6-8 in your textbook, and the movie (“Miss Evers’ Boys”) to help guide your answers. Most of these questions do not have a right or wrong answer.
- Was this study unethical in 1932?
- Why or why not?
- If you feel the study was ethical, was there a point when it became unethical?
- Did the study provide valuable information?
- How could the study have been done differently?
- How do you think the subjects felt about their participation?
- Did they think they were being treated unfairly?
- Does the answer change over time (1930s, 1940s, 1950s, etc.)?
- Should they have thought to question the MDs or Nurse Rivers?
- What was the impact of recruiting at churches and schools on test subjects?
- What was Nurse Rivers’ role in the project?
- What is your opinion of her role?
- Was Nurse Rivers negligent or did she commit malpractice?
- Why or why not?
- Think of a research question or study pertinent to a specific race, ethnicity, or culture.
- How would you ensure the ethical recruitment of subjects?
- Imagine you are the nurse in a modern-day, ethical, TSS-like study.
- How would you use each of the five elements of cultural competence for the selected population?
- Which modern-day, government agencies could be involved in a health-related research study?
- How might they be involved?
Lack of diversity in clinical trials and research has increasingly been highlighted as a problem.
- Hypothesize one reason (whether methodological, social, ethical, or other) why a lack of diversity has been a persistent issue in clinical trials and research.
- What is one potential solution for your hypothesized reason?
Your initial post should be at least 400 words and supported with at least one additional scholarly source.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
The post and responses are valued at 75 points. Please review post and response expectations. Please review the rubric to ensure that your response meets criteria.
Hermann, D. H. J. (2001). Lessons taught by Miss Evers’ boys: The inadequacy of benevolence and the need for legal protection of human subjects in medical research. Journal of Law and Health, 15, 147-163. [PDF]
Get Help for All Your Academic Writing Assignments. We are here to make your academic life more successful and less stressful. Over 10 years, we deliver the promised services. Think wise, buy custom essay! Just tell us “Quickly write my essay!” and provide us with the details of the order and instructions – we will make sure it will be completed on time by our professional writing team
Are you finding it difficult to write your essays, research papers or term papers. Hold on – expert help is on the way!