It is thus a form of consequentialism, meaning that the morality of an action is determined by its outcome
*Utility: the good to be maximized
Peter Singer defines it as the satisfaction of preferences.
* an action may be considered right if it produces the greatest amount of net benefit and the least loss/cost of any available alternative action.
* the consequences of a particular action form the basis for any valid moral judgment about that action.
*morally right action is one that produces a good outcome, or consequence.
* the good is whatever brings the greatest happiness to the greatest number of people.
* “the greatest good for the greatest number of people.
* calculate the utility of an action by adding up all of the pleasure produced and subtracting from that any pain that might also be produced by the action.
Utilitarianism approach to morality quantitative and reductionistic
Utilitarianism can be contrasted with deontological ethics – focuses on the action itself rather than its consequences
In general use the term utilitarian often refers to a somewhat narrow economic or pragmatic viewpoint.
Get Help for All Your Academic Writing Assignments. We are here to make your academic life more successful and less stressful. Over 10 years, we deliver the promised services. Think wise, buy custom essay! Just tell us “Quickly write my essay!” and provide us with the details of the order and instructions – we will make sure it will be completed on time by our professional writing team
Are you finding it difficult to write your essays, research papers or term papers. Hold on – expert help is on the way!