Step 1: Complete the two awareness quizzes and take note of those you missed. (You will be able to check your answers immediately after
submitting each quiz). : I have taken the quizzes and included the results below.
· Quiz 1: Class & Poverty in the U.S.
· Quiz 2: Equity & Diversity
These awareness quizzes illustrate how our perceptions of reality, and the “facts” we
are taught through the media, the education system, and other sources of information, can be limited in depth or simply wrong.
Step 2: Write and submit a 3-5 paragraph reflection/reaction, APA, double spaced responding to the questions below. Cite all resources
1. Do you feel misled or misinformed of these issues? Explain.
2. Did you struggle with these questions? Explain.
3. Which specific items on the quiz that stood out for you or surprised you and why?
4. How can misinformation about these issues contribute to stereotyping and oppression?
5. What is your role as an educator/counselor in challenging these stereotypes or providing fuller understandings of these issues?
Equity & Diversity Quiz:
1. 57% of people in state prisons for drug offenses in the US are African American. What
percentage of illicit drug users in the US are African American?
2. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, 34 anti-Muslim organizations were operating
in the US in 2015. How many were operating in the US in 2016?
3. According to GLSEN, what percentage of students who report an incident of homophobia at
school say the school did nothing in response or told them to ignore it?
4. US Census data show that African American and Latina women earn how much for every
dollar a White man earns?
a. one dollar and one dollar, respectively
b. 81 cents and 79 cents respectively
c. 64 and 56 cents, respectively
d. 54 cents and 49 cents, respectively
5. The Service Women’s Action Network has reported that women serving in Iraq and
Afghanistan are less likely to have been killed by an enemy than they are to have been:
a. raped by a colleague
b. dishonorably discharged
c. promoted in rank
Equity & Diversity Quiz
6. According to the Center for American Progress, compared with schools attended by at least
90% white students, those attended by at least 90% students of color spend how much less per
7. About 5% of the world’s people live in the United States. About what percentage of people
currently in prison live in the United States?
8. In a study conducted by the National Bureau of Economic Research, researchers replied to
help-wanted ads by sending résumés from fictitious applicants. Each applicant had the same
qualifications, but some had stereotypically African American sounding names while others had
stereotypically White sounding names. How much more likely were applicants with
stereotypically White names to get a callback regarding their applications than applicants with
stereotypically Black names?
a. 15% more likely
b. 26% more likely
c. 39% more likely
d. 50% more likely
9. Identify the source of this quote: “We have deluded ourselves into believing the myth that
capitalism grew and prospered out of the Protestant ethic of hard work and sacrifices. Capitalism
was built on the exploitation of black slaves and continues to thrive on the exploitation of the
poor, both black and white, both here and abroad.”
a. bell hooks
b. Michael Moore
c. Martin Luther King, Jr.
10. The median household income in the US has increased 16% since 1980. During the same
period, corporate profits after taxes increased 182%, the average income for the wealthiest 1% of
families increased 190%, and the average income for the wealthiest 0.01% of families grew
322%. What happened to the average income of the poorest 90% during that time?
a. increased 16%
b. increased 0.03%
c. decreased 16%
My answer Correct Answer
1. b a
2. c c
3. a d
4. d c
5. a a
6. b b
7. b b
8. d d
9. c c
10. b b
Class & Poverty Quiz:
1. In which of the following areas is poverty growing quickest in the US?
a. Urban areas
b. Rural areas
c. Suburban areas
2. The median household income in the US has increased 16% since 1980. During the
same period, corporate profits after taxes increased 182%, the average income for
the wealthiest 1% of families increased 190%, and the average income for the
wealthiest 0.01% of families grew 322%. What happened to the average income of
the poorest 90% during that time?
a. Increased 16%
b. Increased 0.03%
c. Decreased 12%
c. Decreased 37%
3. According to a report from the Center for American Progress, schools with 90% white
students receive how much more funding on average than schools with 90% students
4. How many children die each day worldwide from poverty-related causes?
5. According to a Kids Count report, 13% of White children in the US live in poverty. What
percentage of American Indian children in the US live in poverty?
Class and Poverty Awareness Quiz
© EdChange and Paul C. Gorski, 2017
6. According to a study sponsored by the Pew Research Center, the median wealth of
White households in the US is how many times larger than that of African American
a. Three times larger
b. Thirteen times larger
c. Twenty-three times larger
d. Thirty-three times larger
7. Since the global financial “crisis” of the 2000s, which of the following has happened in
a. the wealthiest 1% of people have received 95% of the financial growth while the
poorest 90% of people have gotten poorer
b. the wealthiest 10% of people have received 95% of the financial growth while the
poorest 40% of people have gotten poorer
c. the wealthiest 20% of people have received 95% of the financial growth while the
poorest 20% have gotten poorer
8. According to the wealth analysis group WealthInsight, during President Barack
Obama’s first term in office, the number of millionaires in the US:
a. decreased by 6,500
b. decreased by 154,000
c. increased by 49,000
d. increased by 1,100,000
9. Identify the source of this quote: “We have deluded ourselves into believing the myth
that capitalism grew and prospered out of the Protestant ethic of hard work and
sacrifices. Capitalism was built on the exploitation of black slaves and continues to
thrive on the exploitation of the poor, both black and white, both here and abroad.”
a. Martin Luther King Jr., civil rights activist
b. Michael Moore, filmmaker
c. bell hooks, author and educator
d. Eleanor Roosevelt, human rights advocate
10. According to a national study of US parents with children in public schools, 66% of
parents from families not experiencing poverty reported they always checked to
ensure their children did their homework. What percentage of parents from families
experiencing poverty reported they always checked to ensure their children did their
My answer Correct answer
1. c c
2. b b
3. a a
4. b c
5. a b
6. a c
7. a a
8. c d
9. a a
10. a c
Get Help for All Your Academic Writing Assignments. We are here to make your academic life more successful and less stressful. Over 10 years, we deliver the promised services. Think wise, buy custom essay! Just tell us “Quickly write my essay!” and provide us with the details of the order and instructions – we will make sure it will be completed on time by our professional writing team
Are you finding it difficult to write your essays, research papers or term papers. Hold on – expert help is on the way!