Several models are prominent in the field of addictions; these models include the medical model, moral model, and the biopsychosocial model. A particular model advocated by an addictions professional will influence the professional’s choices of assessment methods and treatment of addiction.
- Consider the following definition of addiction by Michael Miller, M.D., former president of the American Society of Addiction Medicine: “At its core, addiction is not just a social problem or a moral problem or a criminal problem. It is a brain problem whose behaviors manifest in all these others areas…The disease is about brains, not drugs. It is about underlying neurology, not outward actions” (as cited in Nordqvist, 2011).
- Review the articles by Volkow and Koob, Nordqvist, and the American Society of Addiction Medicine
- Research two articles that support or refute this position.
- Examine Miller’s statement and, based on your research, identify which model it reflects and the implications for the assessment process.
By Day 7
Submit a 2- to 4-page paper that includes the following:
- A brief description of the articles you chose and an explanation of their significance to Miller’s definition
- An explanation of the model reflected in Miller’s statement and its implications for the assessment process
- An explanation of the controversy that exists between models of addiction and their effects on assessment
- An explanation of the relationship between the models of addiction and assessment processes
Cite your sources using APA guidelines.
Get Help for All Your Academic Writing Assignments. We are here to make your academic life more successful and less stressful. Over 10 years, we deliver the promised services. Think wise, buy custom essay! Just tell us “Quickly write my essay!” and provide us with the details of the order and instructions – we will make sure it will be completed on time by our professional writing team
Are you finding it difficult to write your essays, research papers or term papers. Hold on – expert help is on the way!