Please read the following case study thoroughly and then answer the following questions:
Luis is a 9-year-old Hispanic Latino male who presents to the Pediatric Clinic. His mother explains to you that she observes that Luis sleeps with his mouth open, she hears him snoring loudly at night, and sometimes he stops breathing for a few seconds which wakes him up. She notices he looks tired and he is cranky when he wakes up in the morning. When he comes home from school he wants to take a nap. Yesterday his teacher called his mother about him falling asleep in class. He does not engage in any physical activities because he is too tired.
Your initial assessment reveals that Luis is obese. His height is within normal limits for his age at 4’8”, but his weight is 102 lbs. His ideal body weight for his age and height is 62 lbs. His body mass index (BMI) is 22.9 which places him in the 97th percentile indicating that he has obesity.
1. Discuss the statistical data for childhood obesity in the United States.
2. There are a number of aspects that play a significant role in the development of childhood obesity. Please discuss how the following factors contribute to childhood obesity:
- Biologic factors (genetics and pathophysiology of obesity)
- Dietary intake (include cultural factors)
- Environmental and behavioral factors (technology, socioeconomic status, sedentary lifestyle)
3. Luis was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea secondary to obesity and physical inactivity.
- Explain the correlation between obesity and obstructive sleep apnea
4. Discuss other health consequences for a child who is obese.
5. What recommendations would you provide to Luis and his mother as a focus for nutritional and behavioral treatment of Luis’s obesity?
6. Your patient education for Luis and his mother includes healthy, nutritional meal and snack planning. You will teach them how to use MyPlate on the ChooseMyPlate.gov website https://www.choosemyplate.gov/kids
- Click on Online Tools. In the drop-down menu, choose MyPlate Plan and calculate Luis’s daily caloric intake
- Explain other sources and activities on the ChooseMyPlate.gov website that will assist Luis and his mother in meeting Luis’s weight loss goal
Get Help for All Your Academic Writing Assignments. We are here to make your academic life more successful and less stressful. Over 10 years, we deliver the promised services. Think wise, buy custom essay! Just tell us “Quickly write my essay!” and provide us with the details of the order and instructions – we will make sure it will be completed on time by our professional writing team
Are you finding it difficult to write your essays, research papers or term papers. Hold on – expert help is on the way!