Assessments 1 and 2 are scenario-based, so you must complete them in the order in which they are presented.
Finding, organizing, and motivating teams is a key leadership skill as is the ability to communicate and present information.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Apply qualities, skills and practices used by effective healthcare leaders.
- Outline goals and initial priorities that reasonably reflect the project.
- Competency 2: Apply practices that facilitate effective interprofessional collaboration.
- Outline a plan that effectively fosters interprofessional group collaboration.
- Competency 3: Apply ethical codes and diversity best practices in health care organizations.
- Define the composition of a team with characteristics that could effectively address a diversity issue.
- Describe the basic characteristics of a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Explain the benefits of promoting and supporting diversity within an organization using scholarly resources.
- Competency 4: Produce clear, coherent, and professional written work, in accordance with Capella’s writing standards.
- Create an organized presentation that clearly communicates all specified content.
The resources provided here are optional. You may use other resources of your choice to prepare for this assessment; however, you will need to ensure that they are appropriate, credible, and valid. The NHS-FP5004 – Collaboration, Communication, and Case Analysis for Health Care Master’s Learners Library Guide can help direct your research, and the Supplemental Resources and Research Resources, both linked from the left navigation menu in your courseroom, provide additional resources to help support you.
Diversity and Cultural Competence
Diversity, inclusion, cultural competence must be a focus of all health care professionals. The following resources discuss the importance of diversity and the role of a leader.
- Dreachslin, J. L., Weech-Maldonado, R., Gail, J., Epané, J. P., & Wainio, J. A. (2017). Blueprint for sustainable change in diversity management and cultural competence: Lessons from the National Center for Healthcare Leadership diversity demonstration project. Journal of Healthcare Management, 62(3), 171–183.
- Gotsis, G., & Grimani, K. (2016). Diversity as an aspect of effective leadership: Integrating and moving forward. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 37(2), 241–264.
- Downey, S. N., Werff, L., Thomas, K. M., & Plaut, V. C. (2015). The role of diversity practices and inclusion in promoting trust and employee engagement. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 45(1), 35–44.
- Debiasi, L. B., & Selleck, C. S. (2017). Cultural competency training for primary care nurse practitioners: An intervention to increase culturally competent care. Journal of Cultural Diversity, 24(2), 39–45.
- Holck, L., Muhr, S. L., & Villesèche, F. (2016). Identity, diversity and diversity management: On theoretical connections, assumptions and implications for practice. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 35(1), 48–64.
- Lawton, D. S., & Carlos Tasso, E. D. A. (2016). Diversity in the workplace and the impact of work values on the effectiveness of multi-generational teams. I-Manager’s Journal on Management, 10(3), 20–28.
- Culture, Diversity, and Out-Groups in Leadership.
- Complete this survey to help identify your attitudes toward out-group members and to explore how you, as a leader, respond to members of the out-group.
Leadership and Teambuilding
The textbook references below provide information on team-building and collaboration.
- Rubino, L. G., Esparza, S. J., & Reid Chassiakos, Y. S. (2020). New leadership for today’s health care professionals: Concepts and cases (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning. Available in the courseroom via the VitalSource Bookshelf link.
- Chapter 7, “Building a Successful Team.”
- Chapter 9, “Collaborative Leadership.”
Review the following PowerPoint template if you need practice in creating presentations.
- PowerPoint Presentation Template and Instructions.
- Assessment Instructions
In this assessment you will continue your work on the project by creating a 5–7 slide PowerPoint presentation for the diversity project kickoff meeting.
- View the PowerPoint Presentation Instructions for guidelines and hints for an effective presentation.
- Download the PowerPoint Template found in the resources and use it to complete this assessment.
Imagine that Lynette follows up with you in an e-mail shortly after reading your views on leadership and collaboration:
Thanks for sending me your thoughts last week on the diversity issue at the clinic. Your next step is to select a team of professionals who can help you in this project and prepare an introduction of the project for a first meeting with them.
I want you to prepare a presentation to serve as a brief, but substantive introduction for the first meeting with a group of 4–5 members who will participate on the committee tasked with addressing the diversity issue. Once I review more information about the proposed team I can help you with the recruitment. The presentation should be 5–7 minutes and use 6–8 slides with detailed speaker’s notes so I can understand your approach. Not a lot of time or space, so keep things pretty high level. Do the following:
- Briefly outline the project goals and highlight 2–3 of the initial priorities to be addressed by the group. Also, explain why they are important.
- Explain the composition of the team and why you chose them. Note that you will not know the exact individuals yet, but assume we will recruit the people with the desired qualities and characteristics that you outline in the presentation. Consider the following:
- Include a group of professionals you believe can help define the problem and ultimately make recommendations on how to address it.
- Make sure each member is either trained in, sensitive to, or has experience with the concept of workplace diversity.
- Give some thought to having some members from outside the organization.
- Provide member profiles: their diversity, qualifications, experience, internal versus external, and so forth.
- Explain your role and describe how the committee will work together and achieve effective interprofessional collaboration.
- Describe how the group will communicate. How and when they will meet.
- Describe how ideas will be shared and decisions made.
- Describe roles, group function, and structure.
- Describe the basic characteristics of a diverse workplace.
- Provide a convincing argument regarding the benefits of a diverse workforce using support from current research.
Create a 5–7 slide presentation in response to the content defined in the above scenario and submit it in the courseroom.
- Length: 5–7 PowerPoint slides (not including title slide) that would accompany an approximately 5-minute oral presentation.
- Notes: Prepare detailed speaker’s notes describing items on each slide so that the viewer can accurately interpret the deeper meanings and intentions that would have been conveyed orally. Support your claims, arguments, and conclusions with credible evidence from 2–3 current, scholarly or professional sources.
- Visuals: Create visuals that are easily read and interpreted. Use colors, fonts, and formatting and other design principles that make the information clear and generally add to the aesthetic of the presentation.
- Please refer to the scoring guide for details on how your assessment will be evaluated.
Note: Your instructor may use the Writing Feedback Tool when grading this assignment. The Writing Feedback Tool is designed to provide you with guidance and resources to develop your writing based on five core skills. You will find writing feedback in the Scoring Guide for the assessment, once your work has been evaluated.
Get Help for All Your Academic Writing Assignments. We are here to make your academic life more successful and less stressful. Over 10 years, we deliver the promised services. Think wise, buy custom essay! Just tell us “Quickly write my essay!” and provide us with the details of the order and instructions – we will make sure it will be completed on time by our professional writing team
Are you finding it difficult to write your essays, research papers or term papers. Hold on – expert help is on the way!